A ladder drill is a progressive reps workout and a nice way to mix up your strength routine.
This format can get tough so feel free to modify how far up the "ladder" you climb..remember you have to come back down again. This workout could be modified if you are in the gym and have access to either cable machines or other strength equipment.
Equipment: dumb bells (medium weight), resistance bands, mat, a workout buddy (optional)
5-8 minutes of cardio/dynamic stretching (squats, lunges, arm circles, etc.)
2 reps of each exercise, then 4 reps, then 6, then 8.
If you have the time and ready for more, come back down the ladder starting at 8,
then 6, then 4 and 2 reps of each.
1. Wide squats
2. Overhead press with weights or bands
(stand on band, hold handles and press up over head)
3. Side lunges
4. Single arm lat pull downs with bands
5. Partner squats with bands (loops bands with partner, step away from each til there is good tension and sit back into squats...if you don't have a buddy, then loop the band around a pole, tree, etc)
6. Partner rows with bands (loops bands with partner, step away from each til there is little tension when arms are fully extended. With a little bend in the knees and engaged core muscles, draw the handles back, bending the elbows, engaging the mid-upper back muscles and let the elbows slide close to the rib cage in a row, then return to fully extended). Again, this could be performed without a buddy and using the band looped around a pole, tree, etc.
7. Push ups
8. Plank with mountain climber legs
9. Bicep curls
10.Tricep dips off a bench, chair, curb (or overhead tricep extension with weight)
Warm down/Stretch: 5 minutes at least
Welcome and thank you for visiting this site. I'm happy and grateful to have a place where I can write about fitness and wellness. In addition to blogging about exercise and sharing workouts, I also use this space to tell 200-word stories about the inspiring and amazing people I encounter in this career. I look forward to sharing as many of these journeys as possible, and would love to hear from you if you would like me to tell your story. You can contact me anytime. Thank you so much for your interest and your effort. Think fit...be fit...stay fit! You are stronger than you think. #STYT