My birthday is December 22nd.
Tim's birthday is February 22nd.
22 was my H.S. soccer jersey number.
22 is my favorite number and the theme for this workout.
22 exercises. 22 reps.
Super duper good fun.
Warm up: 5-8 minutes of your favorite cardio/dynamic stretching movements
Equipment: light hand weights (3-8 lbs) , mat, YOU
1. 22 squats
2. 22 alternating forward lunges
3. 22 jumping jacks
4. 22 alternating reverse lunges
5. 22 alternating overhead presses
6. 22 bent over rows
7. 22 anterior deltoid raises
8. 22 pushups (good times!)
9. 22 side-lying leg lifts (target outer thigh muscles here...abductors)
10. 22 side-lying leg lifts (target outer thigh muscles here...abductors)
12. 22 alternating leg v-ups (weight over chest, lift upper body and one leg up and touch weight to toe, then lay back down and repeat with other leg)
13. 22 chest press on floor (option to hold bridge while pressing weights over chest)
13. 22 mountain climber legs while holding plank
14. 22 moving bridge lifts (hold bridge and lower hips down and up, engaging glutes)
15. 22 wide squats
16. 22 burpees (more good times!)
17. 22 alternating side lunges (step out to the side, hips/knees/toes turn in direction of lunge to side, slight hip hinge, step feet back together and step out to other side and repeat)
18. 22 high knees
19. 22 bicep curls
20. 22 overhead tricep extensions
21. 22 v-sit twists
22. 22 alternating knee drops while holding forearm plank
Warm down/stretch: 5 minutes
For the first few days of this STYT Summer Countdown, we've been talking about individual strength. Today we are going to think about the strength we draw on and receive from others.
You know that phrase: "It takes a village." I probably say this sentence at least once a week..sometimes more. Usually I utter it when I'm referring to the act of raising my children. How would we get it all done without the help of our friends, family, neighbors, teachers, coworkers and sometimes strangers? In addition to an internal strength and drive, there are those external sources of energy, of strength that help us through challenging moments and experiences.
In honor of your village of strength, today's mental task is to take time to reflect on the external sources of strength for which you are grateful. As always...feel free to post here or just pause a moment and recognize your village of strength.
Today's physical task involves a buddy (or more). Grab a friend and tell him/her that there is strength in numbers and we are going to do this together.
Since it's already 10:45am, some of you may have gotten your exercise in today. No worries...the exercises I'm giving you won't take too long to add on today (or tomorrow if you gotta wait).
You are going to be recruiting some leg muscles with these.
While you are working all of these movements, pay special attention to that core area we've been discussing.
Keep your abs engaged (pull your belly button in towards your spine), shoulders back and down, spine long and "neutral."
Videos will follow. Here are your tasks.
Beginners: 30 seconds each
Experienced: 60 seconds each
1. Partner squats (see video)
2. Partner lunges: (see video)
3. V-sit with a twist...pass a 5-10 lb weight back and forth (you can pass a water bottle, a milk jug, there's even a viral video with two women passing a wine bottle!)
4. Partner plank high fives (see video)
Talk to you tomorrow.
TRAIN with me all summer long at ITS Baseball Training Facility in Hillsborough, NC.
Beginning tomorrow, Saturday, June 4, my bootcamp-style classes are moving to this new location.
ITS is located at 602 Cornerstone Court, Hillsborough, NC.
6:00 am -- Monday, Wednesday and Friday
7:00 am -- Saturday
Hope to see you there!!
Welcome and thank you for visiting this site. I'm happy and grateful to have a place where I can write about fitness and wellness. In addition to blogging about exercise and sharing workouts, I also use this space to tell 200-word stories about the inspiring and amazing people I encounter in this career. I look forward to sharing as many of these journeys as possible, and would love to hear from you if you would like me to tell your story. You can contact me anytime. Thank you so much for your interest and your effort. Think fit...be fit...stay fit! You are stronger than you think. #STYT